December 21, 2023
Take a Look Inside the 34th ICEHOTEL, an Art Hotel Made Entirely Out of Ice
A long-awaited art piece is finally done. On December 15th, the doors to this year's winter and art hotel in Jukkasjärvi, ICEHOTEL 34, were opened. The hotel is a one-of-a-kind design experience in northern Sweden, where every room is a work of art. The hotel’s suites, sculptures, and halls are made entirely out of ice and snow, all of them created by artists worldwide.
We are happy to announce that the ultimate sign of winter has arrived: the ICEHOTEL in Jukkasjärvi has opened. Every year, our arctic landmark far up in the northernmost parts of Sweden gets rebuilt—made entirely out of ice and snow, from top to toe.
This year’s rendition of the hotel has been created by 32 artists from 14 different countries all over the world, together with the hotel’s construction team and Luca Roncoroni, Creative Director at ICEHOTEL. This year, there are 15 art suites, a main hall, and a ceremony hall which forms the hotel's heart.
– We are thrilled to have collaborated with artists from 14 countries – some for over two decades, others for the first time. That's what makes ICEHOTEL unique and still exciting after 34 years. ICEHOTEL 34 has expanded with a new layout, presenting multiple art suites, the Ceremony Hall, and our “Main Hall” making a grand comeback after a 4-year hiatus, says Luca Roncoroni, Creative Director at ICEHOTEL.
A new version of the ICEHOTEL has been standing proud in Jukkasjärvi every year since 1989. More than a hotel, it is also an art exhibition with ever-changing art made of ice and snow. ICEHOTEL is created in a new version every winter, completely made of natural ice from Torne River, one of Sweden’s national rivers and last untouched waters. When the winter season’s hotel has melted back into the river during the spring, a part of the hotel remains; a place where visitors can experience the ice and snow all year round.
The Creation of ICEHOTEL 34
The 34th iteration of ICEHOTEL took six intense weeks to build, with 500 tonnes of ice and ten Olympic-sized swimming pools of “snis”—a mix of the Swedish words for “snö” (“snow”) and “is” (ice). The construction of ICEHOTEL 34 started in the spring of 2023, when ice blocks were harvested from the Torne River to be kept cold in the ice warehouse in Jukkasjärvi.
The ice harvested in the spring has been used to make the 34th ICEHOTEL the magical experience that it is. Artists from all over the world—from Poland to Japan, from Canada to Singapore—were selected by a thorough jury to create unique art suites and halls for guests to experience.
– This year marks the inauguration of the 34th edition of ICEHOTEL, and once again, our international artists have created something unique and spectacular. The art suites of this year showcase an incredible height of creativity and form an exciting collection of artistic dreams, expressions, and ideas. Guests this year will be captivated by art suites that evoke thoughts of fairy tales, nature and cultural tradition to name a few. I am excited to unveil ICEHOTEL 34 to all our guests from around the world, says Marie Herrey, CEO at ICEHOTEL.
ICEHOTEL 34 will be available to experience during the winter season of 2023-2024. After that, it naturally melts and returns to the Torne River in the spring. What remains is the permanent part of the hotel, called ICEHOTEL 365. ICEHOTEL 365 contains art and deluxe suites, an ice bar, and a movie theater. Two new suites in ICEHOTEL 365 were completed in November of 2023: The Breach, created by Annie Locke Scherer and Tobias Kiefer, and Mystery on the ICEHOTEL Express, created by Jonas Johansson, Jordi Claramunt, and Abel Pruñonosa.
The Artists of ICEHOTEL 34
After a few years’ absence, the Main Hall is back, this year designed by Japanese artists Kendo Hamaguchi and Taku Ohuchi. The ICEHOTEL 34 also has more art suites than previously, containing 15 instead of the usual 12 this year.
Ulrika Tallving – Sweden
Giovanna Martinez – Italy
Jack Prescott – United Kingdom
Mathew Foster – United Kingdom
Nicolas Triboulot – France
Karl Gilles - France
Natsuki Saito – Japan
Shingo Saito – Japan
Tjåsa Gusfors – Sweden
Hanneke Supply – Belgium
Maxime van Besien – Belgium
Edmund Chan – Singapore
TaiTien Tan – Singapore
Laila Kolostyak – Norway
Elisabeth Kristensen – Norway
Dawn Detarando – Canada
Brian McArthur – Canada
Lukas Petko – Slovakia
Wilfred Stijger – Netherlands
Edith van de Wetering – Netherlands
Luc Voisin – France
Mathieu Brison – France
Monica Popescu – Romania
Emmylou Varon – Philippines/Sweden
Lisa Lindqvist – United Kingdom
Kate Munro – United Kingdom
Kristina Möckel - Germany
Sebastian Scheller – Germany
Kendo Hamaguchi – Japan
Taku Ohuchi – Japan
Slava - Ceremony Hall
Tomasz Czajkowski – Poland
Grzegorz Olczak – Poland
Annie Locke Scherer – USA
Tobias Kiefer – Germany
Jonas Johansson – Sweden
Jordi Claramunt – Spain
Abel Pruñonosa – Spain
Quick Facts – ICEHOTEL 34
- Designed by 32 artists from 14 different countries
- 500 tonnes of ice were used to build ICEHOTEL 34
- 10 Olympic-sized swimming pools of “snis” – a mix of ice and snow
- ICEHOTEL 34 has a constant inner temperature of -5 degrees Celsius
- The hotel took about six weeks to build
- A total of around 90 people were part of building this year’s hotel
- In the Open Call competition for designers, there were 157 applicant artist who submitted contributions to be involved in designing and building this year’s edition of ICEHOTEL
February 29, 2024
A magical landmark, straight out of a fairy tale. Dalen Hotel in Telemark, with origins that stretch back to 1894, joins Nordic Hotels & Resorts. The Norwegian hotel is celebrating its 130th anniversary this year and plans to continue being a premium cultural-historical destination that attracts guests from all over the world.
January 31, 2024
Hotel Christiania Teater presents a theatrical revival in two acts. The lavish landmark in Oslo recently emerged from a year-long transformation, unveiling a newly renovated space and a new brand identity. Delve into the new Hotel Christiania Teater, and meet the General Manager leading this iconic hotel into the future, Hero Azeez.
January 15, 2024
The VK Wrap Up: Nordic Light Hotel and GLO Hotel Sello Excelled at a Historic Vinterkonferansen 2024
On January 13-14, another Vinterkonferansen for the history books took place in Stockholm. This year at Strawberry’s annual conference, the spotlight shone on two exceptional winners from Nordic Hotels & Resorts: Nordic Light Hotel, crowned Nordic Hotels & Resorts of the Year, and GLO Hotel Sello, earning the title of Loyalty Member Hotel of the Year.